Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I am a Genius by S.E. Hicks

I am a Genius
By S.E. Hicks

I have never been one to stand on ceremony nor am I a person who feels a need to comply with society's designated traditions. Valentine’s Day is no exception. Everyday is Valentine’s Day at my house. I love my wife like nobody’s business and it isn’t. I tell her every day that I love her, tell her that she is pretty too. I have done so everyday we have been married and I mean it. Sure, I complain about her but she is my everything and the absolute very best partner a slob like me could ever hope for.

Due to a tiny level of obligation but primarily due to the fact I am flat broke and wanted a burger, I took my wife out for dinner this past Valentines Day. I took her to Burger King and it only cost me thirteen bucks. There were no other customers in the place the entire time we ate. No crowd, no waiting and plenty of easy parking to chose from. I wonder why? We could talk without having to shout, enjoyed the few lights of State Avenue, made goo goo eyes at each other while we ate all we wanted. It was like being in high school all over again. I told my wife if she used her imagination, broke the onion rings in half and pretended the half ring was a shrimp we could act as if we were having a fancy shrimp cocktail. Ketchup and tired fryer grease helped pull it off. Oddly enough she was thrilled with the evening. I’m thinking of making it a tradition. Although, the wife is not in total agreement.

The best part for me was just being out with her, not another soul around us. No pesky waiters. No obnoxious guests, no hectic cajoling annoyances from society, just me and my gal. One other little side note. The wife did not feel …obligated, if you know what I mean. So I didn’t have to put in another couple hours of labor late into the night. Just came home, ate a few chocolate truffles and went to our separate corners to sleep. You see after thirty years of marriage, a roll in the hay is better performed on a Saturday night. That is assuming of course I got the energy. Generally speaking, it just too much work. I am…… a genius.


After informing one of my good friends of my minor acheivement, he told me how he handled the holiday with his wife. He told me he heated up some instant pasta poured some canned pasta sauce on it, left it on the counter and went to bed before his wife came home from work. He said it only cost three bucks and he didn't have to go anywhere. I have in fact been humbled by the master.

No comments: